Want to work on a product at the forefront of collaborative robotics? Love geeking out on design, simplifying the complex, pushing pixels into exactly the right place, dreaming up new physical/digital interactions, and playing with robots? Awesome, then you might be the Senior UX Designer (Interaction Design) we’re looking for.
Universal Robots is on a mission to empower our customers by making the benefits of advanced robotic automation accessible to businesses of all sizes. We are committed to being the global authority on easily programmable, safe, and flexible industrial robots. And we’re assembling a team of extraordinarily talented people to take on the challenge.
Join a team of brilliant R&D colleagues
Our tight-knit team of designers and engineers is obsessed with improving the experience our users have while installing, programming, and working alongside robots. We feed off user insights to invent, prototype, test, and launch software experiences that are delightful to use, easy to understand, and accessible to everyone, regardless of age, location, and technical savviness. You will become part of a global organization with more than 150 R&D colleagues with an enormous drive and passion for cobots.
An experienced designer who crafts beautiful systematic designs through dedication and collaboration
As a Senior UX Designer in our Boston R&D Department, you will be responsible for continuously improving and innovating our software user interfaces across Universal Robots products. We are looking for a seasoned designer who thrives in ambiguity, has a strong human-centered design process, has the desire to learn and collaborate cross-functionally, and designs systematic solutions that are equally thoughtful, elegant, and delightful. The primary responsibilities in the role will be to:
- Collaborate on all stages of the software experience design process (user research, ideation, concept development, validation, wireframing, prototyping, final visual design, and handoff to implementation);
- Create journey maps, behavioral archetypes, user flows, and system diagrams to process and communicate ideas that impact the end-to-end user experience;
- Craft systematic designs that connect the dots between user needs, data, business goals, and business strategy;
- Specify detailed systems of user interfaces, including interaction, micro interactions, and motion design for software engineers to implement;
- Participate in customer research sessions and usability tests which feed iterative design cycles;
- Participate in collaborative work sessions with all levels of company stakeholders;
Qualification, Experience, Skills & Educational Background
You come with 5-8 years of professional experience designing and launching end-to-end software experiences on multiple platforms (iOS, Android, Mobile Web, Desktop, Embedded, etc). And with an undergraduate or master’s degree in User Experience, Interaction Design, Visual UI Design, or related field. Even more importantly, we expect you to come with a positive attitude, open mind, and a desire to collaborate and learn. When evaluating your experience and competencies we will be focusing on:
- An outstanding portfolio, showcasing your strengths in idea generation, interaction design craft and the rationale behind your design decisions;
- Mastery of modern design and prototyping tools such as Sketch, AdobeCC, InVision, Framer, Principle, Origami, Invision Studio, etc;
- Fluent English verbal/written communication and presentation skills, with the ability to successfully articulate design concepts to your team and senior stakeholders;
- Strong ability to think technically and collaborate seamlessly with Technologists as it pertains to understanding the benefits, possibilities, and constraints of common coding languages and platforms;
- Effective time management skills to balance project schedule with fast-paced deadlines;
- Strong conceptual thinking that balances user needs, business goals, and feasibility;
Human robot interaction is a challenging domain that tests your mettle as an interaction designer. Your designs may be inventing new interaction patterns and uncovering new problem areas for robotics to solve. Having experience designing for complex and technically demanding tools, while delivering creative and easy to use solutions, will ensure you are up to the challenge. Experience in the following will help your application stand above:
- Designing products in robotics, industrial automation, data visualization, and/or simulation software.
- Working on agile software development teams, practiced in design sprints, while still maintaining a larger product vision.
- Able to plan and execute research activities including foundational research and usability testing, documenting findings in various insight frameworks.
- Implementing, prototyping, and/or specifying HTML/CSS for responsive or adaptive designs.
At Universal Robots, we don’t just accept difference – we celebrate it. We carefully hire the best talent we can find, which means actively seeking diversity of beliefs, backgrounds, education, and ways of thinking. We strive to build an inclusive culture where differences are celebrated and leveraged to inform better design and business decisions. Universal Robots is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Join us on an exciting journey
We are Universal Robots, a diverse group of smart, creative people working at the forefront of collaborative robotics. Together, we are finding innovative solutions to some of the most important manufacturing issues facing businesses today.
Join us, as a Senior UX Designer (Interaction Design), and you can too.