If you are looking for an amazing opportunity where you can combine your software engineering skills with your passion to apply Robotics to medicine and healthcare, then this is the position for you. This is kind of the position you will have tremendous pride talking about with your friends and family. You will be part of a very talented team that is highly motivated and passionate about our vision which simply is “Life Unlimited”. The position is in Pittsburgh, PA which is rapidly becoming the premier location for everything Robotics. You will take great pride in seeing the impact of everything you are involved in developing, having a tremendous impact on lives of patients and clinicians.
Your primary responsibility is to initially setup an Agile Framework for Medical Device Software Development which includes creating the operational processes and obtaining alignment with various stakeholders. More importantly during the initial phase you will need to be an Agile coach to the team while focusing on the problems this methodology will solve. After this initial phase you would need to institutionalize this methodology here in the Robotics division and also help other parts of Smith and Nephew adopt a similar methodology when requested. You will need to have executive presence to espouse the value of this methodology to executive leadership, while also having the ability to coach a junior engineer who is learning this methodology. You will manage quarterly release planning, sprint planning, backlog grooming, daily management, sprint retrospective and demos. You will need to ensure there is a sound definition of done for all sprint activities and ensure they comply with medical development requirements. You will be required to visit clinical environments to ensure you have a sound understanding of the clinical context. Progressively you would need develop a robust understanding of the product functionality and clinical context so that you can help identify and manage risks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Setup the Agile framework and including related processes.
- Setup the tool chain to enable effective implementation of the process.
- Manage all aspects of release planning, sprint planning, backlog grooming (estimation) and daily management.
- Ensures there is a clear concept of MVP (Minimum Viable Product)
- Create simple but highly effective dashboards to capture key metrics such as burndown, defect trends, backlog metrics and technical/process debt.
- Progressively identify and eliminate waste and thereby lean out the process which may include leading value stream mapping sessions. .
- Ensures there is a robust DoD (Definition of Done) that matches our quality management system requirements.
- Continuously monitors industry for best practices and drives a culture of engineering excellence.
- This is a leadership role and you will be instrumental in building a passionate and highly motivated team that works with a great sense of urgency while taking full accountability for the outcome.
- You will also ensure the team takes the time to reflect and more importantly celebrates the wins.
- Will own the software development plan including its documentation for a project/release.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- 8+ years of product development experience of complex products preferably with a hardware and a software component.
- 4+ years of leading and managing Agile teams.
- Proven experience in doing Agile transformations and preferably in medical device companies.
- Strong knowledge of software tools such as JIRA and collaborative tools such as Confluence and Slack.
- Works very well in a collaborative, fast paced, multidisciplinary environment, and thrives under pressure.
- Has a healthy risk taking appetite and shows the courage to fail early and cheap.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Has executive presence.
- Has the ability to simplify complex situations so that the team does not get overwhelmed.
- Has a positive can-do attitude and inculcates the same with other team members.
- Is able to work very well with geographically distributed teams and can work with teams from a very diverse background.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering, or related fields preferred, or commensurate experience.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Experience with FDA regulated medical devices.
- Experience with AAMI TIR-45 standard
- Experience with Robotics and Computer Vision systems.
- Experience with cloud environments such as AWS.