Robotics Research Engineer/Scientist
Location: San Francisco, CA- United States
Job ID: 19WD34729
The work we do at Autodesk gets to touch nearly every person on the planet. By creating software tools for making buildings, machines, and even the latest movie, we get to influence and empower some of the most creative people in the world to solve problems that matter.
The Autodesk Robotics Lab is exploring the future of robotics in manufacturing, architecture, construction, and media production. The Lab looks for new ways to apply 3D design tools, machine learning, and emerging technologies to advance the field of robotics.
You will join a small team of designers, architects, and engineers exploring what's important and interesting to the future of robotics. We work closely with other research teams at Autodesk – such as the Autodesk AI Lab, generative design teams, and Autodesk Technology Centers – to prototype and validate new methods of automation. Our lab is adjacent to the technology center in San Francisco, with access to rapid prototyping and manufacturing tools.
Your research will address how robots might perform non-repeating tasks in unstructured environments. You will identify opportunities for sensor integration, specify the appropriate hardware for our industrial robot arms, and develop methods for closed-loop control in software. As an expert in sensing for robotics, you will leverage your deep domain expertise within the team to contribute to our active areas of research and shape the strategic vision of robotics for the company.
- Explore, develop, and integrate new sensing techniques for robotics
- Design and prototype software to connect the digital and physical environments for robot motion control
- Develop and maintain relationships with internal and external research teams, industry, and community groups
- Stay informed on the state-of-the-art in the fields of robotics and sensing in both academia and industry
- Communicate projects and technical knowledge to expert and general audiences
- Plan and design research projects: specify the problem and define the project scope
- Think strategically about and help shape robotics strategy at Autodesk
- PhD or Master's Degree in Computer Science, Robotics, Engineering, Architecture, or related field
- Hands-on experience with Industrial Robots
- Strong programming skills in Python and C++
- Experience with machine vision
- Experience with sensors and sensor fusion
- Curiosity, flexibility, and comfort with ambiguity
- Experience with closed-loop control systems and algorithms
- Experience with Industrial Robot programming languages and software packages
- Experience with ROS, ISAAC, or other robot simulation platforms
- Experience with CAD, simulation, and computational design software
- Experience with electronics, microcontrollers, and embedded computing
- Publication at robotics conferences or in journals
The Ideal Candidate
- Self-directed but enjoys working in a small, close-knit team
- Constantly learning about and experimenting with new technologies
- Enjoys working on a broad variety of projects
- Motivated by the promise of technology being an enabler for positive change
- Passionate about design, art, storytelling, etc.
With Autodesk software, you have the power to Make Anything. The future of making is here, bringing with it radical changes in the way things are designed, made, and used. It's disrupting every industry: architecture, engineering, and construction; manufacturing; and media and entertainment. With the right knowledge and tools, this disruption is your opportunity. Our software is used by everyone – from design professionals, engineers and architects to digital scientists, students and hobbyists. We constantly explore new ways to integrate all dimensions of diversity across our employees, customers, partners, and communities. Our ultimate goal is to expand opportunities for anyone to imagine, design, and make a better world.
At Autodesk, we're building a diverse workplace and an inclusive culture to give more people the chance to imagine, design, and make a better world. Autodesk is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic. We also consider for employment all qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
To all recruitment agencies: Autodesk does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Autodesk will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Autodesk, Inc.