Do you want to work on products at the forefront of collaborative robotics? Are you a leader who can mentor, inspire, organize, and grow a team of design professionals? Do you love geeking out on design, simplifying the complex, dreaming up new physical/digital interactions, and playing with robots? Awesome, then you might be the Head of UX we’re looking for.
Universal Robots is on a mission to empower our customers by making the benefits of advanced robotic automation accessible to businesses of all sizes. We are committed to be the global authority on easily programmable, safe, and flexible industrial robots. And we’re assembling a team of extraordinarily talented people to take on the challenge.
Join a team of brilliant R&D colleagues
The success in Universal Robots is, among other things, driven by the ease of use. Programming the robot is easy and the usability of our robot is a key part of our IP. A central element in maintaining and further develop this, is to have a strong User Experience (UX) design team.
Our tight-knit team of designers and engineers is obsessed with improving the user experience while installing, programming, and working with our robots. We feed off user insights to invent, prototype, test, and launch product experiences that are delightful to use, easy to understand, and accessible to everyone, regardless of age, location, and technical savviness. You will become part of a global R&D organization counting close to 200 colleagues and leading a team of currently 5 members. Furthermore, you will, in the position as Head of UX, get in touch with the global organization and communicate to critical stakeholders.
An experienced leader knowing the value of the customer insight
The position as the Head of UX is one of leadership; You are the head of the User Experience. The leadership role involves building, leading, and growing a highly collaborative team including Visual Design, Interaction Design and UX Research. The role is a champion for the user experience and strategically aligning the UR product roadmap with market needs. You will create balanced and elegant product solutions amidst constraints in the product’s technical framework.
Key tasks include:
- Drive and further develop a team of skilled and passionate UX experts.
- Facilitate and coordinate the day to day work backlog
- Forge a vision that the whole team can use as the guiding star in the performance of their tasks.
- Define success targets for the UX team and ensure everyone goes for them.
- Frequent interaction with top management to understand product requests and business needs.
- Maintain, improve, and communicate UX functional development processes to the entire R&D organization. Work with other development leaders to ensure the UX processes integrate smoothly with the UR development framework and agile best-practices.
- Be the voice of UX towards the rest of the organization, and find, with product management, the right balance between customer and business needs.
We also imagine you come with:
- Education: You possess a master’s degree in Design, Art, Marketing, Engineering or a related field. A Bachelor’s degree plus equivalent professional working experience in these fields is also acceptable.
- Experience: You have gathered at least 10 years working experience as a leader in a product industry, spearheading customer engagement and user experience. It will be a plus if you have a proven experience in customer or user experience design, interaction design, or a similar role for at least 3 years in your 10 years’ experience.
Additionally, you must have experience in managing and inspire a UX team. Our Head of UX will also have a proven and successful record of having delivered several products, from the design stage all the way through to its launch.
- Leadership: A suitable candidate will have the ability to drive both UX as a mindset into the organization as well as a team through complex projects. In addition, the right candidate will demonstrate superior analytical Skills when evaluating research findings with the rest of the team to make recommendations.
- Communication: Due to the natural interaction with stakeholders across UR, UX team members, and most importantly customers, excellent communication skills are a must. Being able to communicate complex concepts clearly, interactively, and persuasively to these audiences is a necessity. In addition, as a design mentor and supervisor, effective communication skills during design reviews are a necessity.
- Tools: The position will involve regular presentations to all collaborating product personnel, UX team and stakeholders. These presentations should not only be verbally engaging but also visually engaging. As such, the Head of UX must show high proficiency in the use of tools such as Visio, Fireworks, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, etc.
- Interpersonal and People Skills: Being an extremely interactive role, the Head of UX will need to possess skills that transcend great communication. The Head of UX needs to have both interpersonal and people skills that facilitate smooth interactions with all the parties in cross-functional settings. These skills will also ensure that the Head of UX, through integrity, earns the trust and respect of the UX department.
Ready to apply?
Send us your application following the link in the job ad. We invite candidates for interviews on a continuous basis and therefore encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
Join Universal Robots
We are Universal Robots, a diverse group of bright, ambitious people working at the forefront of collaborative robotics. Through our agility, resilience and entrepreneurial approach, we are taking our innovative cobot products into more markets and regions than ever before.
Join us as a Head of UX, and you can too.