As Product Manager – Competitive, you are the consummate team player, adept at managing relationships, collaborating and influencing across a variety of organizational functions. You will be the expert on URs products and services, understanding, capturing and communicating the company’s competitive strengths and key areas for improvement. You will be the “go to” person who provides stakeholders with the key competitive proof points to drive the business. In addition, you will help uncover new product features and concepts based on your competitive expertise and contact with UR Sales, customers and prospects.
You should be prepared to make decisions with imperfect information, know how to lead without authority and be comfortable managing chaos, ambiguity and complexity. You must possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy that includes a big-picture vision and the drive to make that vision a reality. You must also enjoy spending time in the market to understand market problems and master the competitive intelligence of rival solutions for the broader market.
Communications skills are key to success in this role. You will work with product managers to understand and share key competitive battlegrounds. You will work with product marketing and marketing communications to help craft competitive messaging based on key product and market insights. You will also work with the sales function to help close deals, by helping to generate the killer argument from a product competitive perspective. In short, you must be prepared to communicate with all areas of the company.
You are a strategist who will translate the company’s competitive superiority into actionable competitive strategies.
- Be the undisputed expert on competitive matchup of our products and services via any and all significant competitive offerings
- Act as the “messenger of the competition” from the outside-in to the rest of the organization
- Access, measure, document and communicate competing products and services versus UR offerings, pointing out areas of strength and areas for improvement, always staying abreast of the very latest competitive product releases
- Conceive and promote competitive strategies for our products to move UR ahead of the competition
- Support product managers in the development a three-year roadmap for our products based on competitive opportunities that you uncover through your work
- Know why we are winning and losing in the market and work with the relevant product manager to drive changes to our product and processes to create improvement.
- Develop and perfect methods of capturing and communicating competitive performance as a means to best understand, sell against, and outperform our industry rivals
- Collaborate with other stakeholders such as product marketing on the creation of competitive positioning for all UR products and services.
Who are we looking for?
We expect our future colleague in this role to come with 3+ years of marketing, development, sales, or product management experience. It’s absolutely key that you are tech savvy and passionate about industrial assembly products, and that you have excellent people and management skills to interact with staff, colleagues, cross-functional teams and third parties. Furthermore, we are looking for someone who can meet the following requirements:
- Experience designing, installing, supporting, integrating, or interacting with industrial equipment within manufacturing environments, ideally in applications such as welding, material handling, packaging, palletizing, finishing, etc.
- Experience with and understanding of the technical and business considerations that drive decisions made in selecting industrial equipment for manufacturing applications.
- Skilled at performing competitive performance assessments of hardware, software and SaaS offerings.
- Track record of using qualitative and quantitative data to prioritize and drive decision-making.
- Proficient in productivity applications such as Microsoft Office, Project or Basecamp.
- Comfortable using collaboration and CRM tools such as Confluence, JIRA, and Microsoft CRM.
- Metrics-driven: Strong analytical and synthesis skills are a must, including the ability to absorb and process large amounts of data into actionable information.
- Curious and comfortable holding professional conversations with our target buyers and users.
- Must be a strong writer and public speaker in front of large, senior groups.
- Subject matter expert/industry experience a strong plus.
- Preferably has a technical college degree in engineering, manufacturing, or related field.
This position requires domestic and international travel to customer and potential sites up to 25 percent.
While this role is preferred to be located in Boston, exceptions may be made for a truly qualified candidate.
Ready to apply?
Send your application as soon as possible. We take candidates into the recruitment process on a continuous basis.
Join Universal Robots
We are a diverse group of smart, creative people working at the forefront of collaborative robotics. Our robotics arms help our customers improve productivity and profitability and create a safer work environment.
Together, we find innovative solutions to some of the most important manufacturing issues facing businesses today. And we dare to do what others find impossible – working towards making leading-edge technologies a reality for businesses of all sizes.